What's in this Article
- Roles: Any
- Permissions: Create and Edit Contacts
- Licenses: Client Management
Clients are the most important part of your business. Canopy enables you to efficiently track tasks, engagements, requests, etc. on the client level in order to better understand the work your team is dedicating to each client.
Add a Client From the Navigation Bar
1. Click Add Contact.
2. Indicate whether this new client is an Individual or a Business.
Some fields differ after selecting Business.
Warning: Once a client is created, it cannot be switched from one entity to the other. You will need to create a new client under the correct entity.
3. Enter your client's Name.
Required fields are indicated by an asterisk (*).
4. Enter a Display Name for your client.
- Display names are meant to help you in the event that your client uses a different name than their legal name.
- Display names are searchable on the global navigation bar, the client list, and in the global inbox.
- Currently, the Display Name will not appear on your client's portal.
5. Select the applicable client Type.
If needed, enter a Client Since date.
6. Indicate whether the client is Active.
For more information about Active and Inactive clients, refer to the Mark connections as inactive clients article.
7. If needed, enter your client's contact information.
- Some of the available information fields:
- Email address
- Phone number
- If needed, click Add [phone number, email, or address] to add additional contact information.
8. If needed, add your client's personal information.
- Available information fields:
- Birth date
- Contact owner
- External ID
- Options will vary for Business contacts.
9. If needed, enter any Additional Information or add any Tags to the client.
For more information, refer to the Custom Fields or Tags articles.
10. Click Create and manage to navigate to the Client Record.
Click Create and close to save your client and resume other work in Canopy.
Add a Client From the Client List
If you are already on the Client List, you can simply click one button to create a client.
1. On the top right, select Add client.
From there, follow the steps listed in the Add a Client From the Nav Bar section of this article.
Any team member who has the Archive Contacts permission enabled has the ability to archive a client.
To get started, click Clients in Canopy.
1. Click the checkboxes in-line with any clients you wish to archive.
2. Select the More actions option.