What's in this Article
- Roles: Any
- Permissions: Create, Edit, & Refund Payments (to log payments); Credits (to view created credit); Payments (to view the credit memo and payment record)
- Licenses: Time & Billing
Take Note: You can make an account payment for a client only if you registered with Canopy Payments as an Organization. Individual entities do not have this capability.
Account payments (sometimes referred to as retainers, or non-invoiced payments) give clients the ability to make non-specific payments toward their account balance. Typically, clients make account payments if they want to prepay for a service they know is coming up, or they would rather their accountant decide which invoice to pay down.
Account payments are stored as Credits in Canopy and can be allocated by the accountant as desired. For more information about applying account payment credits to invoices, please refer to Apply a Billing Credit to an Invoice. These actions can also be taken from the payments dashboard.
Make an Account Payment
1. Click on the Global + Button and select Payment from the secondary navigation.
This will open the Create a Payment modal.
2. Select a Contact to add the account payment in the Contact name field.
3. In the Account Payment section, add a description of the payment.
This description might be Retainer or Pre-payment for X service.
4. Input a payment amount in the provided box.
5. Click Continue.
6. The Payment date will default to the current date. If needed, change the payment date to a future date.
7. Use the Select payment method dropdown to select a payment method.
- Individual entities who sign up for Canopy Payments will only have Cash, Check, and Other as options.
- If this is an Organization entity on the Canopy Payments account, you can choose from a saved payment method, or select a new payment method and input the payment details.
8. If needed, click + Add a note to the payment.
9. Click Continue to proceed to the confirmation modal.
10. Click Confirm and pay to create a credit for the account payment.
11. Click Done.
- You can quickly enter additional payments by clicking Make Another Payment.
- Print or Download the receipt by clicking the associated icons.
The account payment will be saved as a credit. You can then apply that credit to an invoice, as needed. Follow the Apply a Billing Credit to an Invoice article for more.