What's in this Article
The Quickbooks Online (QBO) Payments Sync is like our one-way invoice syncing feature in Canopy. The QBO integration lets you create and receive payments in Canopy that are then synced in QBO. This gets rid of the need to manually log payments in QBO! In the graphic below, review the one-way and two-way functionality that Canopy has with Quickbooks Online.
Payments will sync to QBO so long as they meet the following criteria:
- Payments syncing is active in your Canopy settings
- The payment is made on one or many invoices that are properly synced to QBO
- Even if just one unsynced invoice is paid at the same time as other synced invoices, the payment will not sync to QBO.
- The payment does not include an additional payment (functionality to come)
So how does it work? When a payment meets the criteria, the initial sync creates a payment in QBO to match the payment listed in Canopy.
Sync Payments with QBO
1. Click your profile picture/initials in the bottom left-hand corner.
2. Select Settings.
3. Under Integrations, click Manage on the QBO tile.
Once you click Manage, the page redirects you to a Manage QBO Integration tab in the Billing Settings.
4. Click Start in line with Payments.
If you are not integrated with QBO, your screen will look like this.
Selecting Start pulls up a login window for QBO.
5. Enter your Intuit credentials and sign in.
6. Review expectations and click Sync.
Take Note: The payments sync feature does not include credits or deposits at this time.
If you already integrated and clicked "restart the integration", when you get to the payments sync you'll see the window below. After clicking continue, you'll see the same Begin Payment Sync window as above.
Quick Tip: Be aware that once the payments sync finishes, all payments (so long as the payments sync is toggled on in the payment window and is associated with synced invoices) will sync to QBO moving forward.
Once it syncs and you are back in the Manage QBO Integration tab, you'll see the status for Payments as Synced.
Reminder: When payments sync is active, Client Portal payments sync. To clarify, payments from the Client Portal sync, assuming they are made on synced invoices and the payments sync is on in your settings. If client portal payments are made on unsynced invoices, they won't sync to QBO and you'll have to manually enter the payment.
Manage Payments Sync
Pause Payments Sync
At some point, your firm may want to hold off on syncing payments but still want to use other parts of the QBO integration. You can do that! Just keep in mind that any new payments or edits made while the sync is paused will not sync.
In the Manage QBO Integration tab:
1. Select the three stacked dots in line with Payments.
2. Click Pause payment integration.
3. Choose Pause.
If you'd like, go ahead and check the box to not show the message in the future.
The status shows as Paused and a message at the bottom of the screen confirms the action.
Resume Payments Sync
When you're ready to get back up and running with syncing QBO payments, simply go back to the same menu and select Resume payment integration.
Please keep in mind that any payments added or edited while the integration was paused, will not populate. These will have to be manually entered.
The status shows as Synced and a message at the bottom of the screen confirms the action.
Manage the QBO Integration
You've got three options for what you can do to manage the QBO integration. First, let's start off in the Manage QBO Integration tab of Billing Settings.
Quick Tip: You can also see the manage option from the Integrations settings page.
Under the three stacked dots, you'll see the option to restart the integration, view the report, and disconnect the QBO integration.
Use this option when you want to restart the QBO sync. This feature is most commonly used after resolving duplicate clients.
Clicking this option brings up the same flow as initially setting up the integration.
View integration report
This option populates a window where you can see matched and unmatched Clients, Service Items, and Invoices.
Disconnect QBO Integration
Select this option if you want to disconnect the QBO integration altogether.
A window pops up for you to read a few important notes and confirm the disconnection.
Please Note: By disconnecting the integration, all established connections between Canopy and QBO clients/service items will be lost.
- Those connections will have to be reconfigured if you resume the integration.
- Payment and invoice connections will stay but can't be viewed while the integration is disconnected.
From the Invoices List
1. Click Add payment in line with the invoice.
Note: If a client is not listed in QBO, payments will not sync over.
2. Select the Payment type from the drop-down.
Note: If you toggle on the sync for recurring payments, QBO creates the recurring payments on the date of the recurrence as long as the integration is connected at that time. Recurring payments will sync at the time the payment is created assuming the following:
- The parent invoice is properly synced
- Payment syncing is on at the time of the payment creation.
The series does not include any invoices that were previously sent. You need to pay those particular invoices separately.
3. Toggle on the Sync payment switch.
On = green
Off = gray
Note: Invoices have to be synced to QBO if you want the associated payment to sync to QBO!
Double-check that the invoice is synced to QBO by reviewing outstanding invoices right in the Create a Payment window. Synced invoices are clickable and those that are not synced are grayed out.
3. Click Continue.
Note: Additional payments don't sync in QBO at this time. This functionality is coming soon!
4. Review the payment date and payment method, then hit Continue.
Feel free to add a note to the payment as well.
5. Verify the information is correct and click Confirm and pay.
6. Download or Print the payment receipt and select Done to finish.
Edit a Payment
You cannot edit payments made with ACH or Credit Card. However, you can make edits if a payment is made by Cash, Check, or Other.
To make an edit to a payment in Canopy:
1. Navigate to Billing, then Payments.
2. Select the Payment #.
Reminder!: You can only edit Cash, Check, and Other payment types.
3. Click the three stacked dots in the top right of the payment receipt.
4. Click Edit.
5. Make any necessary changes to the payment and select Continue.
6. Verify the information and select Continue.
7. To update the changes, choose Confirm and pay.
You'll see a window confirming the modifications. Click Done or choose to Print/Download if needed.
The change is reflected in the Payment receipts list.
Take Note: You can view the payment sync status in this area. You'll see a column labeled "QBO" and that is where you can click Access to pull up the payment in QBO, or you can click on an Error to see more information or retry the sync.
Refer to the following resources to find the description of error codes and their solutions.
There you have it! Now that you are set up to sync payments to QBO, there will be less busy work and manual data entry in the future.🤯