What's in this Article
- Roles: Any
- Permissions: Create, Edit, and Assign Work; Generic Tasks
- Licenses: Workflow
You can save time and create a task for multiple contacts all at once by creating a bulk task.
Use Bulk Tasks
1. Click Contacts on the global navigation bar and select Contact list from the slide-in menu.
2. Click the checkboxes in line with each contact you wish to include on the bulk task.
3. Click the Bulk Task icon.
The Create bulk task window will pop up.
4. If needed, click Template to apply a template to the bulk task.
Select a template and click Apply.
Tips For Adding Automation Rules: Step up your bulk task game! Use the “Add automation” option to create events that trigger an action such as recording dates, creating tasks, or changing task statuses without lifting a finger. To learn more about the ins and outs of task automation, click here!
Before applying automation to send a client request when a condition is met, make sure that all contacts that will receive the client request have been invited to the client portal.
Prior to setting up automation to send an email when a condition is met, ensure the contacts have a default email set up in Canopy.
Ahead of creating automation to assign a specific team member to a task when a condition is met, verify that the team member is assigned to the contacts.
If these rules are not met before creating a bulk task, you will receive information similar to the screenshot below.
5. Using the Status dropdown, apply a status to the bulk task.
6. Input a Task name.
7. Using the Assignee(s) dropdown, select team members to assign the tasks to.
If a team member does not have access to the client, you will see a message prompting you to grant the relevant team members access.
8. If all assigned team members should also be assigned to all subtasks and/or reminders, select Assign to all...
9. In the Budget hours box, input how many hours you want to budget for each of the tasks.
10. Assign a Priority status as needed.
11. In the Description box, input any notes or instructions for the tasks.
12. Set the bulk task to repeat, if needed.
13. If needed, switch Tax preparation fields on.
As a tax practitioner, you may want to filter tasks by tax year or return type for quick access and easy reference. The best way to use this feature is to enter data in the Tax Year and Return Type fields when creating tasks.
14. In the Date well, add a Start date or Due date.
You can also add other date types by clicking the Add a date button.
15. As needed, set up a Reminder by clicking Add reminder in the reminder well.
- In the When box, you can select the cadence for the reminder to be sent out.
- In the For box, you can select which Team Members will receive the reminder.
- Click on the Delete trash can to delete a reminder.
- Click on Add reminder to add additional reminders to the tasks.
16. Add relevant files to the tasks by clicking the Add file button.
- Select whether to upload a New file or add an Existing file.
- Add additional files by clicking the Add file button again.
17. Add automation by clicking the Add automation button.
To learn more about automation best practices, review this help center article!
18. Add a Client request to the tasks by clicking the Add a client request button.
If you need a refresher on client requests please refer to the Create a New Client Request article.
Please note: Clients who do not have access to the client portal will have Client Requests created as drafts. They cannot be sent to the client until they have been invited to the client portal.
19. Click Add a subtask to add subtasks to the tasks.
Reminder: Subtasks utilize much of the same information as we covered above. Refer to the above instructions if you get stuck!