What's in this Article
- Roles: Any
- Permissions: Credits
- Licenses: Time & Billing
A billing credit, also known as a credit invoice or credit memo, is a way to detail a refund or credit to an invoice. For example, you may issue a billing credit if a customer asks for a refund or if you decide to give a customer a credit for any reason, like a promotional offer.
Before a billing credit can be added to an invoice, you need to create the credit on the Credits Dashboard. Canopy's Credits feature allows you to credit a client's account.
To learn how to apply a billing credit to an invoice, click here.
Create a Billing Credit
1. To get started, click Billing on the left primary navigation bar.
2. Choose Credits from the slide-in menu to open the Credits Dashboard.
3. Click Add credit.
4. Select a client using the Client Name box.
5. Select a Date.
The date will default to the current day.
6. Complete the credit information. Fields will be automatically filled according to your defined Service Item. Relevant fields include:
- Service: Name of the credit.
- Description: Description of the credit.
- Quantity: Number of credits.
- Rate: Amount to be credited.
7. Add a note to the Client Notes box.
8. Input any terms and conditions related to the credit.
9. Click Save credit.
The credit will be added to your Credits Dashboard.