If you are working with our Implementation team, we'll need your help getting your client list so you can transfer client data into Canopy. Nothing fancy; they only need a CSV file to get it done for you.
At a high level, here is the process we'll cover in more detail below:
- Step 1: Review the Client Record
- Step 2: Export your client list from your current practice management software
- Step 3. Prepare your CSV for import
- Step 4. Contact your Implementation Specialist
- Step 5. Upload your CSV Securely
Step 1: Review the Client Record
Before you get too into the weeds, think about what information about your clients is most crucial or fundamental. What do you want to see or track in a client record?
Take a peek at how the data is presented in Canopy - it contains all the info you have or need about your client. There are two sections in particular:
- Client info: Full name, personal email, mobile number, address
- About: SSN/ITIN, DOB, Occupation
The About section is where Custom Fields appear. Custom Fields can be anything, but the common ones most firms use are:
- Filing Type
- Business Type
- Client Type
- Additional Info
Step 2. Export your client list from your current practice management software
For guides on how to export your data from a specific platform, go here.
Step 3. Prepare your CSV for import
Once you have your export ready, you can begin preparing your import. There are three requirements the import file must have:
- Saved as a CSV
- Make sure only one client per spreadsheet row
- Ensure your file has headers so we know where to map information
Note: Some practice management software may export in XML format. To convert XML to CSV, follow this guide. If you are not sure about doing this step, just send us the XML file and we can do it for you.
We recommend using our template as a reference.
Here is an example:
- Column A | Contact type: the type of client. Types can be Client, Prospect, or Other.
- Column B | First Name: First name on its own.
- Column C | Middle Initial: Middle initial on its own.
- Column D | Last Name: Last name on its own.
- Column E | Email: An email address must be provided for a contact to have portal access.
- Column F | Employer: Employer name on its own.
To see more details about the template criteria, click here for an example CSV.
To see an example of the template, go here.
You can use tags to organize and categorize clients by adding labels or keywords to client records. They can be used to group clients together based on specific criteria such as location, industry, or the type of services they require.
You can insert tags in your import by creating a column in your CSV. You can insert tags into a column separated by commas.
Learn more about how tags and custom fields can be used here.
Step 4. Contact your Implementation Specialist
Once your import is ready, reach out to your implementation specialist via email to let them know. They will initiate the next step.
Step 5. Upload Your CSV Securely
You'll receive an email asking you to upload your CSV file. You'll see a note from our team and further instructions. Click Upload Files to import your CSV.
Our data specialist can get the import done in up to 7 days, but usually, we can get it turned around faster.
You'll receive an email to confirm once your import is finished.
Adding a New User for Data Specialist Import
We'll need you to add a new user for our data specialist to your account. To do that:
- In your Canopy account, go to your profile avatar.
- Click Settings
- On the left-hand side, click Team Organization.
- Select Invite New User
- Enter the email as firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click Send
This user profile is automatically deleted after 7 days.