What's in this Article
- Roles: Any
- Permissions: Tax Organizers
- Licenses: Client Management
The Organizer allows practitioners to quickly gather and organize tax information from individually filing clients in one simple step. You can send the Organizer to your client to complete or fill it out yourself. The Tax Organizer also allows you to conveniently upload any relevant tax documents to be stored in Canopy.
Send a Tax Organizer to an Individual Client
If you do not have all the information needed to fill out all of the sections yourself, you can send the Organizer to the client to fill out. To get started, click Send in the top left-hand corner of the Organizer.
1. Choose the contact email to which you would like to send the Organizer.
If needed, include a personalized message.
2. Click Send.
Your client will receive an email that will ask them to complete the form as a Survey in the Client Portal. To better assist your client in completing the survey, please refer them to the Complete a Tax Organizer article.
3. Back on the main Tax Organizer page, click the Options icon and select Organizer Options.
- Here, you can set the Tax Organizer's access permissions for your client. If you have already sent the Organizer to your client, access will default to On and will allow the client to edit information in the Client Portal.
- To prevent access once the client has returned the Organizer back to you, toggle the slider to On.
A Note for Self-Employed Clients: If you are a sole proprietor (filing Schedule C), ensure that the "Self-employment (1099-NEC or 1099-K)" box is checked under the Questionnaire > Income sources section. Once that is checked, you will be able to enter your business information in the Sole proprietorship section.
Navigate the Individual Tax Organizer
1. Click the Global Add Button on the global navigation bar.
2. Choose Tax Organizer from the slide-in menu.
3. Fill out all necessary information such as Contact type, Contact, Organizer name, Organizer type, Assignee(s), and Due date.
4. Click Add organizer.
5. From the main organizer page, you are able to begin filling out your client's tax information.
- Answer all questions in the selected section. Once you are done with one section, click Next section.
- If needed, click Upload Documents to upload any applicable supplemental files for the tax form.
6. Send the organizer to the client to complete.
7. Once the client has completed the Organizer and sent it back to you, you will be able to see all of their responses.
- Be sure to click through each section to make sure each question was answered.
- If any corrections are needed, click Resend and include any notes in the Personalized message box.
8. Once the Client Organizer is complete, click the Options icon and select Download form.
The completed tax form will be downloaded onto your computer.
9. Click Tasks on the global navigation bar.
10. Choose Tax Organizers to view active organizers.
- Here, you can change the status of an Organizer.
- Click the Options icon on the right-hand side to view Archived organizers.