In order to request a transcript, you will need to input your IRS e-Services login information and have a Power of Attorney registered with the IRS in advance. Without registering for two-factor authentication with the IRS, you will not be able to complete this process. Additionally, you will need to set up Canopy to work with your IRS account. Please refer to our integration setup guide for more information. To get started with requesting a transcript, click Files on the global navigation bar. Alternatively, you can also access transcripts for a specific client at the client level.
What's in this Article
- Request a Client Transcript
- Select Which Transcript Forms are Gathered
- Roles: Any
- Permissions: Transcripts
- Licenses: Transcripts & Notices
1. Choose Transcripts in the slide-in menu.
2. Click Request transcript.
3. Select the Contact Type. Options include New and Existing contact.
If you select New Contact, you will need to input the client's name and identify whether they are a Business or an Individual.
4. Search for and select a contact in the Contact Name menu.
5. Ensure that the SSN/ITIN number is correct.
If an SSN/ITIN number is assigned to a contact already, the number will autofill after selecting the contact in step 4.
6. Select the Organization you want to request with.
This will default to the Primary Organization identified in your integration settings.
7. Select a CAF Number.
8. Add an expiration date for the on-file Power of Attorney form.
9. If desired, select a cadence for when to repeat transcript requests.
Options include Does not repeat, Every week, Every month, Every quarter, or Every year.
10. Specify a Start and End date.
These options are not visible if Does not repeat was selected in step 9.
11. Click Request transcripts.
Select Which Transcript Forms are Gathered
When a transcript is first requested, Canopy will attempt to gather all available forms and information from the IRS. After the initial request, users can select which forms are gathered automatically for that client going forward. To get started, click Files on the global navigation bar.
1. Select Transcripts from the slide-out menu.
2. Locate the contact you requested a transcript for and click the in-line Settings icon (depicted by a cogwheel).
3. Click Manage forms.
4. Select which forms and which years to gather going forward.
- A green box indicates a selected form, and a grey box indicates an unselected form.
- You can filter the list by clicking on the available filters on the left-side column.
5. Click Save changes.
All automatic transcript requests going forward will only gather the selected forms.