What's in this Article
Upload files quickly and easily in the Client Portal through the mobile app and browser.
Upload a File Through Your Browser
- File Type: .bmp .csv .doc .docx .emf .eml .heic .htm .html .jp2 .jpeg .jpg .mkv .mov .mp4 .msg .ods .odt .png .ppt .pptx .rtf .tif .tiff .txt .wmv .xls .xlsm .xlsx .xod .xps
- Max File Size: 4.999342 GB
- Folders: Folders must be compressed or zipped. Unzipped folders will not be uploaded.
- To Zip or Compress a folder, right-click on the folder and select the option to Zip or Compress from the pop-out menu. Upload the new zipped or compressed folder to Canopy.
The Client Portal lets you upload files from your computer or phone to Canopy so you and your practitioner can access them. Once uploaded, your accountant will get a notification that you added a new file. Upload files with a few clicks, or by dragging and dropping the files you want to upload.
1. Log in to the Client Portal and click the Files tab.
2. Click Add a File.
A new file explorer or finder screen will pop up for you to search through your computer's files.
3. Select the file on your computer and click Open to upload it.
- Hold Shift and Click to select all the files between your first and second clicks.
- You can also select entire folders, as needed.
- Hold Control and Click to select several, non-sequential files.
4. Alternatively, you can drag and drop files into the file location to upload them.
5. In the provided text box, enter a file name.
6. Click Save.
Upload a File on the Mobile App
1. Tap on the Files tab.
2. Tap Add a file.
3. Choose from the available file upload options.
- Options include: Scan with camera, Add from photos, or Upload from files.
- For information about scanning a file, please refer to the linked guide.
4. Tap to select a file. Then, select any additional files to add them to the selection.
5. Tap Select to upload the files.
Uploaded files use the same name as those stored on your phone.
Rename or Delete an Uploaded File
After you've uploaded a file, a 10-minute timer displays next to the uploaded file. Clients have 10 minutes to rename or delete a file. After 10 minutes have passed, you will need to contact your accountant to make any changes. This feature stops confusion for your accountant and helps them address your files.
1. Locate the recently uploaded file in your files list.
2. Click the inline Rename button to edit the file name.
You may need to reload the web page if you do not see this option. Otherwise, the 10-minute window may have passed.
3. Input a new name in the provided text box.
4. Select Save.
Please note, the timer will not reset. The ten minutes start from the time of the original upload.