Canopy files can be annotated directly within Canopy. Currently, annotations can only be seen by firm members and will not be visible to contacts. Annotations provide an excellent way to communicate with firm members and make any necessary notes on a file. To get started, navigate to open a relevant file's File Previewer.
What's in this Article
- Annotate Files in Canopy
- Add Annotation Comments
- Add Comments and @mentions
- Roles: Any
- Permissions: Contact Files
- Licenses: Document Management
Note: Only files that have been saved to Canopy Files can be annotated.
1. To begin annotating, click on the Annotate tab.
Additionally, you can click the Shapes tab to select a shape to add to the document.
2. Select an annotation tool to apply to the file.
|Annotation Tool||Keyboard Hotkey||Description|
|H||Highlight: Use this tool to highlight text in a document.|
|U||Underline: Use this tool to underline text in a document.|
|K||Strikeout: Use this tool to strike out text in a document.|
|N||Note: Use this tool to add a note or comment to a document.|
|T||Free Text: Use this tool to add a text box to a document.|
|New Image: Use this tool to insert a new image into a document.|
|R||Rectangle: Use this tool to add a rectangle to a document.|
|Stamps: Use this tool to place a stamp on a document.|
|F||Free Hand: Use this tool to draw free hand on a document|
|Free Hand Highlight: Use this tool to highlight free hand on a document.|
|C||Callout: Use this tool to add a callout to a document.|
|E||Eraser: Use this tool to delete any annotations you made in the document.|
3. If needed, select from the tool's available presets.
- The presets box will update to show applicable options for each selected tool.
- Most tools have additional preset options available on the in-line dropdown menu.
4. Click on the file to use the selected annotation tool.
5. If needed, manage annotations.
|Rotate Freehand drawings, Stamps (checkmarks and x’s), and Boxes|
|Move a page or pages in your PDF to the top or bottom of a document|
|Insert a blank page or blank pages above or below existing pages|
|Replace multiple pages by inserting a document|
|Sort annotations by Created Date, Modified Date, and Color|
|Filter annotations by 10 default colors and Statuses|
Add Annotation Comments
Annotation comments provide a space for a firm to communicate internally on a document. To get started, navigate to the file previewer for a relevant file in Canopy.
1. Select the Note tool from the annotate menu.
Alternatively, type the Note hotkey, N, on your keyboard.
2. Click on the file to add the note to that location.
- The Annotations Sidebar will open.
- You can toggle to the Comments Sidebar by clicking the Comments icon on the toolbar.
3. Input a note in the Add reply... text box.
4. Click Save to add the note to the file.
5. On the Annotations sidebar, select a relevant note to see the associated post.
6. If needed, input an additional note in the Reply... text box.
7. Click the airplane icon to add a reply to the note.
Canopy Tip: Adding a link to a note/reply creates a clickable hyperlink for ease of access!
Add Comments and @mentions
Comments and @mentions provide improved internal communication for you and your team to collaborate on files.
1. Click on Comments in the sidebar of the file previewer.
2. To tag a team member, type "@" along with their name.
A list of possible matches will populate where you can select the desired team member.
3. Click the paper airplane icon to Send.
For more tips and tricks for using the comments feature, please refer to the Use the Comments Inbox article!