Automatically update the Parent Task as you make progress on your Subtasks and Client Requests.
This automation rule is useful for situations you want the main or parent Task's status to update or change as you make progress on your project.
For example, for monthly bookkeeping projects, you might want to see the Main Task (Monthly Bookkeeping) Status to reflect the phase of the project. You could even create custom statuses with the name of the phase. Then, as your subtasks are completed, the main task status is updated to reflect the stage of the project.
What you'll need:
- Subtasks and/or Client Requests
- Custom Statuses (optional, but helpful!)
Make the Recipe
First, head to a Task or Task Template where you'd like to make this rule.
- Click Add an Automation on the Parent Task.
- Select Condition as “when a specific subtask or client request has a status of”.
- Select the first subtask in your sequence.
- Set a status of the subtask as Completed.
- Select Action as “then set the task status”.
- Select a task status (Gather Info)
- Select Add Automation.
Repeat steps 1-7 of this recipe for each additional subtask in your task. By the time you're done, you might have something like this:
That's right! You'll have several automations plugged into your main task. Then as each subtask is complete, the main task updates to reflect the subtask recently completed.